Whether you find it a necessary evil or you relish the thought of slipping into your bleach-stained sweats, spring cleaning is a great way to keep your home value high and your home and appliances fresh and free of allergens. For busy moms or the modern professional, these super cleaning tips will save you time and energy this spring!
1. De-clutter first. Clothes that don’t fit, kitchen appliances you haven’t used in 10 years, toys your kids have outgrown — these items are just taking up valuable space in your home. Hold a garage sale or head to the nearest donation dropoff to de-clutter your home. Get the kids involved to save time, and even use the donation drop-off as a teachable moment.
2. Take it room by room. Don’t try to do it all in one day. Once spring has sprung, try targeting one room each week. If you have the time and energy, consider taking everything out of the room (within reason) and moving items back in piece by piece. This will give you the opportunity to tackle the walls and floorboards while also dusting the backs and bottoms of large furniture items such as dressers, bedframes, and book shelves.
3. Hit the items and places that don’t get a lot of love. We know you have your regular weekly cleaning routine. You dust major surfaces, do laundry and run the vacuum cleaner. During spring cleaning, try to hit those spaces that don’t get the weekly rundown. Cleaning the oven, dusting the ceiling fans and shampooing the carpets aren’t particularly fun or sexy activities, but you’ll be glad to cross them off your list!
4. Utilize the wisdom of your fellow women. No doubt your mom, grandma, or aunt have a few tricks up their sleeves when it comes to spring cleaning. Whether it is vinegar and a plastic bag over the shower head to remove buildup, a bowl of vinegar and lemon in the microwave for easy cleaning, or tips for deodorizing your mattress, call up the magic mavens in your life for seasoned advice.
5. Revitalize, rejuvenate, rearrange. Spring is a time of growth and rejuvenation. If you’re feeling a little lackluster at home, use this time to rearrange your furniture, repaint your bedroom or do something out of the ordinary. Spring is a great time to ditch that winter funk!
At the end of the day, simmer a pot of rosemary, lemon and vanilla extract on the stove to make your entire home smell amazing. This will be the perfect ending to a day (week or month) of hard work!