Moms are life’s true superheroes, and since 1914, they have had their very own day carved out on U.S. calendars to prove it. They don’t just perform the standard care tasks that keep us up and running like cooking, cleaning, and organizing our lives. Many modern maven moms do this all while holding down a full-time job, volunteering in their communities, and maintaining some semblance of a social life. This Mother’s Day, do one better than a boring buffet lunch and a greeting card. Try these unique ways to celebrate to show the woman who gave you life just how much you care.
1. Plan a family trip. Whether it’s a weekend away at a location she’s always wanted to visit or a quick day trip, your mom will love knowing how much thought and planning went into her gift. If you can’t get away for an entire weekend, pack a nice picnic lunch and enjoy time together in a lovely setting. You know from experience that she doesn’t expect anything elaborate, but she’ll love every minute of spending time with you.
2. Throw a party. Who says parties are reserved for birthdays? This would be a great time to collaborate with your brothers, sisters, cousins, and in-laws — the bigger the better. Throw a party celebrating all the moms in attendance with great food, music, and games. Make it an all-day affair with food and games during the day and a bonfire to top off the night.
3. Write it down. While the standard card with just your signature is so 2016, a more elaborate letter or card will melt mom’s heart. List important things she has taught you (she’ll love to know you were actually listening), things she did for you that you now do for your own children, or what you love most about her.
4. Recreate old family photos. This is a trend that you’ve probably noticed online. Find the funniest picture of you by yourself or you and your siblings when you were young and recreate it as adults. Have the two framed side-by-side for an awesome gift that will guarantee some side-splitting laughter at the next family reunion.
5. Give mom a hand. No, we don’t mean applause (although you can do that, too!). Surprise mom by doing a deep spring cleaning while she’s away, finishing that home improvement project she’s been talking about, or whipping up a gourmet meal.